In the U.S., someone suffers a burn injury every 30 minutes and someone dies in a fire-related death every 169 minutes, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in 2010. Many of these instances occurred not due actions of the burn victim, but instead due to the reckless or careless act of another person. If you were hurt in a burn injury accident caused by someone else, or if you have lost a loved one due to severe burns, reach out to a knowledgeable personal injury attorney who can help.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries come in many forms:
- Electrical burns
- Chemical burns
- Fire/open flame
- Radiation burns
All burns, regardless of form, receive a degree rating, ranging from first- to fourth-degree. A first-degree burn, such as sunburn, is superficial and generally resolves itself with basic first aid and time. A second-degree burn penetrates beyond the outer layer of skin and can cause swelling and blisters. Third-degree burns affect the deep layers of skin and fat and often appear waxy or leathery. Fourth-degree burns can damage ligaments, muscles and bone. Nerve damage can occur in third- and fourth-degree burns. The worst fourth-degree burns can lead to death.
Connect with The Rooth Law Firm at (847) 869-9100 or through our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case.
Common Burn Injury Causes
The American Burn Association National Burn Repository found that 69 percent of burns occurred in residential homes in 2012. These burns often involve cooktops, toaster ovens, candles, lit cigarettes and cigars, and hot liquids. The remaining 31 percent of burn injuries occur outside of the home and result from:
- Car accidents or motor vehicle accidents like semi-truck accidents
- Workplace accidents such as industrial accidents
- Defective products, including lighters, candles and matches
- Medical malpractice, especially during cancer treatments
Recovering From Burn Injuries Takes Time and Money
According to the CDC, burn injuries cost approximately $7.5 billion each year in medical expenses. These costs include a variety of treatment relating to surgery, skin grafts, infections, scarring, joint and bone problems, and physical therapy. In addition to these costs, burn injuries often result in extensive lost wages and extreme emotional distress.
To recover from such injuries, you must take care to follow your doctor’s orders properly. Even then, a full recovery may not be possible for, especially if you will face lifelong pain and/or permanent scarring or disfigurement. Facing the lifetime costs for these injuries can seem impossible, unless you can recover a reasonable amount from the individual who caused your injuries. That is where an experienced personal injury attorney can help.
Let Our Personal Injury Lawyer Fight to Recover for You
At The Rooth Law Firm, we know how to take into account the time, money and emotional costs of burn injuries to develop an aggressive case for our clients. Let us put this knowledge and more than 30 years of experience to work for you.
Contact us at (847) 869-9100 to make arrangements to discuss your case with our attorney today.